lundi 2 mars 2020

Day 21 - San Juan del Sur

We had a really good night sleep, with a nice cool breeze and no tarantulas.


Today, Steve wanted to go to a coffee farm nearby for breakfast. On the GPS, it looked a bit far in the mountains and, based on previous experiences, I wasn't sure I wanted to go because those roads are often unpaved and not easily practicable with a scooter. But I would do anything for my Steve so we went…

We drove a few meters on this unpaved rocky road and I stopped. I didn't want to break the scooter or my bones! So, we walked up a hill for more than 1km at a million degree Celsius. I was completely drenched… and not super duper cheerful and happy… this coffee better be the best I ever had!

After way too many minutes and steps, we finally got to the farm. The guy there looked very surprised to see us coming for breakfast. We sat on the terrace and, after a little while, the man brought us coffee… disappointing coffee… I mean, I was not bad! But the coffee we had the day before was much better and much closer too!!!

We never had this cool interesting menu for breakfast. We just had warmish scrambled eggs with plantain chips and rice and beans. Yum! I lost more calories climbing the hill to get there than what I had on my plate! Oh well, poor Steve, it wasn't his fault. It was not the first time in the past 3 weeks that we made research online to find out, once there that the place didn't exist anymore or was not what it used to be. At least, it was probably the cheapest breakfast we had so far in Nicaragua.

We walked back to our scooters, stopped by our hut to get our backpacks and made our way to Moyogalpa to take the ferry. It was a nice 45 to 60 minute scooter ride.

It's the first time I see a road crossing a runway! They have fences on each side of it and when a plane has to land or take off, they just close the road fences. And the runway is surprisingly short!!!


We brought our scooters back to the shop and the owner of the place, who was super nice, even offered us a ride to the ferry because it was leaving soon. 

After an hour on the ferry, we arrived in San Jorge and took a taxi to San Juan del Sur, which is a more touristy city and where foreigners started transforming the area into a rich fancy beach town. We were not sure we wanted to go because it's not really our type of place but apparently, it was also the place to go to have a bit more nightlife. 

We arrived to our homestay in the middle of the afternoon. We unpacked and went for a bite and a beer in a beach bar. 

Then, Steve went to the barbershop while I stayed at the hotel to write my blog.

Then, it was time for dinner… Before leaving for our trip, I read a blog that had some tips for a few places in Nicaragua and there was a recommendation for a seafood restaurant. We walked where it was supposed to be but it didn't exist anymore. However, I saw, earlier today, that someone mentioned that it seemed to have moved by the beach so we checked and found a restaurant with the same name.

Same name, sure! But my theory is that someone stole the name of the other place when it closed… If the other one was that good, and it had really good reviews online, this one was bad!!! Everybody, in the older reviews, were talking about their incredible lobster tails. So that's what we ordered and here is what we got:


Compared to what we had in Las Peñitas for less:


And it was blend, overcooked and chewy! It was so bad, I didn't really eat. Oh well, after Steve's mistake for the breakfast, it was my turn to have it wrong. 

After dinner, we went for a walk to explore the surroundings, sat by the beach for a little while, relaxed and came back. I was hungry now! I had a really good hot dog on the street, way cheaper and much better than the lobsters, and we stopped in a cool bar for a few beers on our way back. Music was good, at least for me, because Steve doesn't like Latin music… we spent maybe an hour there and went to bed.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire