lundi 10 février 2020

From Ottawa, Canada to Granada, Nicaragua

I wish teleportation already existed! I love traveling the world but I'm not a big fan of those transit days… Waking up at 3am with Steve, my dearest husband, dancing and singing while I'm trying to convince myself that this is gonna be a great day and that I'm doing my very best to disregard the fact that I'm definitely not a morning person. Then, with half-open eyes, we go outside in running shoes and with a thin hoodie at -20°c to get to the airport. Once there, we have to get half-naked and go through security just in case I would be crazy enough to hide a tweezer in my sock with the intention of using it to kill someone on the plane and it's not all! We then have to wait in line for US customs for the very gentle and kind immigration officer to ask me if I visited China in the past 14 days and if I'm hiding an apple in my backpack that could kill people with hidden Canadian bugs. When I'm asked questions like that, there is always an inner voice that tells me stupid things like "Sir, even if there was a bug in my apple, if I almost died in this  cold weather  with my 135 lbs, do you really think that a tiny little bug would have survived?" or "Don't worry, there is no chance for your President to be poisoned with an apple. I understand if it was a burger or a bag of chips but your country is safe with an apple." But I don't think they have a good sense of humor and I would probably stay in Ottawa, in running shoes and a thin hoodie at -20°c. So I behave and let Steve do the talking. And we get to the other side of the glass! Yep! The international zone or, like I like to say, Nowhere's land. So now, we wait in line for a very necessary coffee and a not so good muffin at the only tiny Tim Hortons, we wait for boarding on an uncomfortable chair, make the line to board and finally, we sit for hours in a stinky, packed and poorly temperate plane. After a few hours, we exit the plane! Freedom! Oh, wait… We have 2 more flights to catch! Great! Not exactly the most exciting day of this adventure! But We went from a ridiculously small plane with no leg room, no space and no air to a big plane and… first class seats!


Wow, we might get used to it! A big large cozy seat that transforms in a bed, unlimited drinks and food, real plates and a warm chocolate chips cookie for dessert! It's too bad that this was only a 2.5-hour flight! I made the maths and they fit about 36 seats in the economic class for 18 seats in the 1st class! It's amazing how much space money can buy! Because usually, those tickets are at least twice the price!

We were lucky for our last flight too! We were in Business class and we were in the very first row.

We finally landed in Managua, Nicaragua at 8:30pm, local time, 9:30pm home time.

We immediately noticed that this country was much less touristy when we realized the immigration officer could not speak English… 

We exchanged some money to get cordobas, their local money and we left the airport. Freedom!!!! This is the feeling I immediately felt when the warm humid wind touched my face!

Our ride was waiting for us. We had a 45-minute ride to do to get to our hostel in Granada.

We were exhausted, the road was dark and there wasn't much to see but just savoring the warm breeze coming from the windows was priceless!

We arrived to our hostel, unpacked a little bit and went to bed. We felt asleep very quickly!!!

I do not necessarily enjoy those transit days but when I get to my destination, it always reminds me why I do it anyway.

And, by the way, when I read my blog to Steve, he said that I sounded like a poor rich girl complaining about her first-world problems. In fact, he didn't say it exactly like that but this is what it meant and I get why he's saying this. But I'm not complaining at all! I know how lucky I am and I really enjoy traveling. I'm just an honest open-minded person who can sometimes also be a bitch. I can't complain, after all, yesterday, I was walking to work in this!



Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire